Guess what my fellow Berry users!!! We finally have a “cloud” option to sync all of our goodies from our BlackBerry. So those of you that jumped ship for that unnamed device out of Cupertino; come back home!!! We aren’t upset and will welcome you back with open arms!!!
This sync option is brought to you by Funambol, who has been a player in the app market for a while now. They just launched this service for BlackBerry who allows you to sync your contacts, calenders, notes, tasks, and pics with the Funambol cloud. As for space you get 50MB free which should cover everything except for your pictures. More space may be available with a fee in the future.
Funambol is explaining this service as a “MobileMe” option. It gives BES features to users who are not on the BES. Users can access thier information at my.funambol.com while still having access on your BlackBerry and in Outlook. Another feature is the Backup that is available for you to restore lost information back to you BlackBerry, in case you don’t get along well with Desktop Mananger.
They sent a litte set up info along as well here it is:
Download the Funambol app from the App World on your BlackBerry
- As a normal precaution as with any beta service, it is recommended to have a backup of your mobile phone data before using Funambol.
- Download the Funambol app from App World on your BlackBerry (search for Funambol) and run it.
- The first time the app runs, it asks you to enter your mobile phone number (this is your Funambol username) and a password (remember these to log in later online).
- Once complete, use the app to sync your data.
- After syncing, you can log in at http://www.mm4bb.com or http://my.funambol.com to see your contacts, calendar and pictures on the online portal.
- On the portal, you can share your photos with Facebook, Flickr and Picasa as well as sync Outlook (see below), import your Facebook friends’ profile pictures and more.
IF you want to sync Outlook
- Once logged into the portal, from the My Desktop area, follow the on-screen steps to download the Windows/Outlook Sync client to your PC and install it.
- In the client, enter your Funambol username and password (that you created during sign-up) in Tools -> Options -> Account.
- Using the sync client, sync your Outlook data, which will be synced to your account on the Funambol portal.
- To sync this data from the portal to your BlackBerry, go into the Funambol app on your BlackBerry and sync.
* The Funambol BlackBerry and Outlook Sync clients have settings to schedule automatic sync so everything can be in sync without manually syncing.
* More info can be found in a quick reference guide at http://cdnetworks-us-1.dl.sourceforge.net/project/funambol/docs/v9/Funambol-blackberry-sync-client-quick-start-guide-v9.0.pdf.
* Feedback, questions and problems can be posted on the community-supported Open Discussions forum at https://core.forge.funambol.org/ds/viewForumSummary.do?dsForumId=405.
Comment about this in our forums here.