We now know what we can kind of expect in the BlackBerry OS 7. RIM will be mixing OS 6.1 and QNX together to form OS 7! According to Gist of CTO of software, David Yach, keynote at RIM’s internal RDX dev conference today:
- A big portion of the talk is focusing on the benefit RIM will get from centralizing processes and tools.
- One of the key reasons OS 6.1 is falling behind schedule is miscommunication between teams in the critical path of the project
- He didn’t focus on the problems as much as how RIM is going to solve them by easing conflicts in the critical path
- There is a new project “Highlander” using the concept from the movies “There can be only one”
- This project is taking the best features from OS 6.1 and the QNX OS to make OS 7. This seems to be where the rumors about OS 6.1 having a QNX core are coming from
- RIM is “very happy” with OS 6.1 but it struggling with losing the features users love
- OS 6.1 is almost 10 years old and has pushed its limits
- Still they are very happy about the “Liquid Graphics” in OS 6.1 adding a WOW factor to BlackBerrys
- This new OS 7 will also be the OS for the Playbook down the road. Seeing the theme of “there can be only one” ?
- RIM is still in the “early stages” of OS 7 with a target of 2012
The Highlander rocks! What do you think about the future BBOS 7?