RIM announced yesterday via beta zone that a new update for the PlayBook will be released prior to the update that is scheduled for February. This update on contains improvements and fixes to some problems that users have encountered.
Here is what John, BlackBerry Project Manager, had to say about the update:
I just wanted to let you know that we’re working on an interim Tablet OS software update to precede the 2.0 release in February. It won’t have any new features (we’re still perfecting those!), but a good percentage of the content came from this community.
Here is a list of some of the included changes (should make some of you happy):
- Daylight Savings Time: updated some time zones
- Updated Bluetooth and Wi-Fi drivers improving co-existence and connectivity
- BlackBerry App World account payments reliability improvements
- Improvements to VPN connection reliability
- Addressed some scenarios where BlackBerry Desktop Software would not restore applications to the PlayBook
You’ll see this update within a few weeks. I know some of you wanted more in the interim, but the focus is going into making things solid for 2.0. For what impact this community did have on this update, I thank you!
I can update this thread when it becomes available. In the mean time, feel free to share your thoughts!
If you are a member of Beta Zone you can follow the thread here.