Another new OS released for the Bold 9900. As before, 7.1 brings the Mobile Hotspot feature to your BlackBerry 9900 enabling your BlackBerry internet connection to act as a WiFi hotspot so others can connect to your BlackBerry and benefit from using its internet connection. Very handy also for yourself if you have a laptop or an PlayBook and are on the go!
The new BlackBerry OS 7.1 has the following features.
- Wi-Fi Calling: Allows you to make calls over a Wi-Fi network. Does not support handoffs to cell network, so calls will drop when you leave the Wi-Fi coverage.
- Mobile HotSpot/USB tethering: Allows you to connect up to five devices to the internet through your BlackBerry device.
- Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS): A personalized emergency alert system designed to alert people of nearby threats or emergencies.
- BBM Music: A new feature that lets you download 50 tracks when you sign up and up to 25 tracks per month.
- Bing search: Device searches also uses Bing to provide additional search results.
- BlackBerry Device Analyzer: Lets you perform diagnostic tests to check for errors or issues, which can help you resolve device problems without having to call Customer Care. Check out the What is the BlackBerry Device Analyzer to learn more.
Instructions for installation:
- After the download is complete, make sure you have no other OS installed on your PC from the Control Panel (Usually named BlackBerry Device Software), install the file you have just downloaded.
- Next, Navigate to one of the following paths depending on your Windows Operating System:
- •32-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader
- •64-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader
- Delete the file name vendor or vendor.xml in that folder.
- While you are still in that folder, after you have deleted the above mentioned file, you will find another file by the name of Loader.exe or simply Loader
- Run that file, you will now get the screen to initialize the upgrade of the OS on your BB, click next to continue, your device PIN will be listed on this next screen, click next again to continue.
- Now you will get with a list of options to select or deselect the components you want to install.
- Carefully select only the items that you need, do not select all the chat messengers and components you know you will not use as this will eat up your precious application memory.
- After you have selected the components you want to install, click next, and the upgrade process shall begin.
- Your phone will automatically create a backup of your settings / apps first, then it will wipe the old OS then install the new one and restore the backup.
- Should anything go wrong at this stage, you will have to wipe your device nd try again, but luckily, we have created a backup file at the beginning of these instructions, so you will still be able to restore all your contacts, emails, settings, etc. easily.
Disclaimer: Make sure you to backup your device using the BlackBerry Desktop Software before attempting to upgrade!