With the4G LTE BlackBerry PlayBook rumored to launch on July 31st, it is only fitting that Research In Motion start preparing for the launch with the official release of the PlayBook OS 2.1. At this time OS 2.1 is still in it beta form the official release will bring tons and tons of new goodness to your PlayBook. Hit the break for more.
- Software updates are no longer mandatory during setup. The customer can choose the best time to update for them.
- Setting Up WiFi connection is no longer mandatory at setup
- Software updates can be done over a cellular network (4G models only)
- Portrait Mode can now be used with the Email, Calendar, and Contacts App
- Greater flexibility and control over which folders are wirelessly synced when using Active Sync
- Full access to IMAP Email folders
- The BlackBerry PlayBook now gives you the ability to conduct a video chat over 4G Cellular Networks (Some Carrier Restrictions May Apply)
- Print To Go – Now you can send content to your BlackBerry PlayBook even if it’s not connected to the same WiFi network.
- Android Apps will now run in individual windows rather than being lumped into one Android Player Window.
- Apps which require access to the camera are now supported
- In-App Payments can now be submitted. Buying that next power-up in your game is easier than ever!
- Video Store is now available in Canada. Thousands of movies and TV shows, new & old, available on demand to rent or buy New releases available same day as DVD
- Text Messaging is now supported with BlackBerry Bridge. When Bridged you can read, send and receive text messages on your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet.
- When Bridged, and connected to WiFi, the BlackBerry PlayBook automatically sends and receives data over the WiFi network to decrease cellular data usage, and increase performance.
At this time there is still no official launch date for the 4G LTE BlackBerry PlayBook or a release date for OS 2, We are still hearing July 31st for the 4G LTE PlayBook. Let us know what you think in the comments.