Talk about some impressive info @harkal of Thoughts Serializer posted about his experience with porting his iOS game Pop Corny to BlackBerry went. Well need less to say it too about 2-3 days to port over and the game is much, much faster on the PlayBook then the iPad 2! Below is a snippet from the blog post as well as more information on the game as well as another video!
Since on both platforms the game actually achieves 60fps its hard to notice the difference in game, but the launch sequence really shows the difference. The bottom line is that given 2 devices with almost identical hardware (the same Dual-core 1 GHz Cortex-A9), running the same game, with the game optimized using the iOS device and only later ported to the Playbook, the Playbook manages to launch the app (load all textures, decompress them and upload to GPU, load sound effects, etc) 30% faster!In my book.. this is a huge achievement. Hit the break for a trailer video as well as more info on the game!
What is also amusing is how that 30% is calculated including the time the Playbook wastes doing “pre-launch” animations like pulling down the other app icons, pushing the app thumbnails left and the launching the actual app. And still managing to launch faster! It looks as it is mocking at the other device…!
His name is Corny… Pop Corny, and he loves popcorn! He has one dream, one goal, one vision… TO EAT ALL THE POP CORN IN THE WORLD!! Can you feed him enough to progress to the next level? But be careful as hunger takes over and Corny starts to black out!
- “What an amazing and captivating game with endless hours of fun! Don’t miss it!”
- “Truly phenomenal game play!”
- “This is a great and addictive game!!!”
- “Very cute and addictive game. Love the polish in it.”
- “Really loved the graphics and gameplay, truly original! Not to mention the salsa beat… I got stuck for hours! Keep up the excellent work guys!”
And many more around the world!
- Simple but deep one-touch/sling-like control
- Upgrade your popcorn box by completing objectives
- Multiple stages to play
- More than 40 achievements to complete
- Collect “drachma coins” and spend them on bonus upgrades, bombs, shields, etc
- The first ever endless eater!