Research In Motion has released Service Pack 4 for BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5 for Novell GroupWise. This same service pack was made available for BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5 for Microsoft Exchange and Lotus Domino in September. In addition to the latest feature enhancements, Service Pack 4 will allow you to upgrade your BlackBerry Enterprise Server to BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 once it is available in conjunction with the launch of BlackBerry 10 devices.
New Features Included with this Release for GroupWise
- BlackBerry® Balance™ technology support
- BlackBerry® Mobile Fusion integration
- Microsoft® Office 2010 attachments are now supported, including password-protected attachments
- Email pre-population changes; the full body of a message can now be delivered to the smartphone and the default number of messages can be increased to 1000 or 14 days
- Email pre-population now takes place on every activation (it’s no longer dependent on PIN change)
- The Maximum Allowed Attachment size for viewing or downloading is increased to 10MB
- Common features and fixes for all BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0.4 updates from version 5.0.2 and 5.0.3 – including over 200 individual fixes
- All BlackBerry Enterprise Server for GroupWise maintenance releases and quick-fixes delivered since BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Novell GroupWise 5.0.1
- BlackBerry Monitoring Service will not be included as part of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0.4 installation package
Improvements for BlackBerry Administration Service Console
- Administrator can choose which columns are displayed and also have the ability to sort them
- Export data into .CSV or .XML files for reporting and reference
- Improved Online Help features
- Added efficiencies for IT policy and software configuration deployments, allowing for group or individual assignments
Protect Work Data and Manage BlackBerry, iOS, and Android Devices
A few key features worth noting are the support for BlackBerry Balance technology and compatibility with BlackBerry Mobile Fusion – an exciting development for administrators of Novell GroupWise deployments. BlackBerry Balance enables the use of personally owned BlackBerry devices for work by creating a secure and manageable perimeter to hold work data, complete with policies for restricting work data from being accessed by personal accounts or applications. This also provides peace of mind for employees, as when corporate data and accounts are wiped from the device, personal information remains intact.
The ability to integrate with BlackBerry Mobile Fusion is also an important consideration for enterprises looking to deploy BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablets, and/or Android™ and iOS® based devices. BlackBerry Mobile Fusion provides functionality to manage smartphones and tablets in your organization from a single unified, web-based console. The component within BlackBerry Mobile Fusion for managing current BlackBerry smartphones would be your current BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0.4 deployment, providing a simple and straightforward upgrade path.
Get the Update Today
Head over to www.blackberry.com/besupdate to get the service pack update.
Does your organization use Novell GroupWise and BlackBerry smartphones? What features are you most looking forward to in the 5.0.4 update? Share in the comments below.