*Update* According to a few sources BBM 7 with BBM Voice is still not supported on OS 4.5, 5 (Although RIM is working on legacy support). We made a mistake in posting this article and are very sorry for the confusion.
Back on December 10 2012 Research In Motion released BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) v18.104.22.168. When BBM version 22.214.171.124 hit BlackBerry World there was only support for OS 6, 7 and 7.1 devices. It seem as though RIM has quietly added support for OS 4.5 and higher now. BBM 7 includes BBM Voice which allows for FREE WiFi calling to any of your BBM contacts that have it installed on their BlackBerry smartphone. Hit the break for more.
What’s New in BBM 7 with BBM Voice?
- Multi-tasking with Split-screen feature – Customers can do more while they talk, such as check other BBM text chats, check email, or navigate to other apps while engaged on a BBM Voice call. They can start a call in an instant, and switch between texting and talking, or text and talk at the same time. They can also for example, send a picture to a contact while they are talking with them.
- Clear Visual Indicator – Customers can see when contacts are available for a voice call.
- Convenient Compatibility with Accessories – Customers can use their favorite accessories, such as a Bluetooth® or wired headset, or use the BlackBerry smartphone’s speakerphone.
- 16 New Emoticons – Available in the final software released today, customers will see a slate of new emoticons offer them fresh, fun ways to express themselves in text chats.
- Direct BBM Update Notification – BBM will now notify a customer when there is an update from within the app, and allow them to download it immediately from inside the app.
- Simple BlackBerry ID Synchronization – A customer’s BBM profile, Groups and Contacts are now linked to their BBID for easy backup and restore. The data will also carry over when they move to BlackBerry 10.
Let us know what you think about the update in the comments.
Thanks to @tech_baje for sending this one in!