App signals commitment to provide BlackBerry users with the most up-to-date weather content
OAKVILLE, ON, January 28, 2013 – The Weather Network and MétéoMédia, divisions of Pelmorex Media Inc., today announced the launch of The Weather Network application for BlackBerry 10, bringing its extensive weather information and forecasting ability to the new platform.
The launch signifies an ongoing commitment by The Weather Network and Research In Motion (RIM) to provide BlackBerry users with the most up-to-date and engaging weather-related content in the palm of their hands.
“As a Canadian leader in mobile app development, The Weather Network is delighted to launch the first major weather information app for BlackBerry 10,” said Gita Ashar, Director of Mobile Applications and Emerging Technologies at The Weather Network. “The team has worked closely with RIM to develop a unique and interactive app that will provide BlackBerry 10 users in Canada, the U.S. and beyond with the most up-to-date weather information direct to their new devices.”
The Weather Network’s new BlackBerry 10 app draws on the device’s native features, like the new built-in camera, allowing users to upload photos onto The Weather Network website for a more engaging weather-forecasting experience. Follow-Me functionality detects a user’s location automatically to determine the local forecast, while BlackBerry 10’s new Peek feature is also incorporated for easy multi-tasking.
“The team at The Weather Network has worked in partnership with RIM to develop an innovative weather forecasting application designed specifically for BlackBerry 10 users,” said Ashar. “As two uniquely Canadians companies who have been working in partnership for the past six years, we’re excited to stand alongside RIM and launch an industry-leading app for BlackBerry 10.”
The Weather Network app for BlackBerry 10 key features include:
- Follow-Me functionality detects users location automatically to determine the local weather forecast.
- Peek feature allows users to switch easily between storm and extreme weather alerts and the forecast for easy multi-tasking during active weather.
- PointCast uses The Weather Network’s exclusive technology to provide personal forecasts using a Canadian postal code, U.S. ZIP code or GPS on mobile device. Forecasts are narrowed down to within one kilometre of where you are.
- Picture and video upload capabilities lets users submit weather-related content to The Weather Network direct from their BlackBerry 10 devices.
- Detailed weather forecasts including current, short-term, long-term (day and night), 14 day trend (day and night) and hourly forecasts for user’s favourite locations.
- Weather tracking for multiple locations lets users keep an eye on weather forecasts for several locations at once.
- Active weather alerts and public safety warnings delivered direct to users’ BlackBerry 10 device.
- BBM sharing functionality lets users share the app with their friends via BlackBerry Messenger.
Since 2006, The Weather Network has been working with RIM to develop stand-out weather forecasting apps for BlackBerry. With more than 14 million downloads to date, The Weather Network app on BlackBerry is considered one of the platform’s most popular mobile apps. This strong Canadian relationship continues with the launch of The Weather Network app for BlackBerry 10, the most extensive weather application developed for the new device.
In addition to offering a new app for BlackBerry 10, The Weather Network also offers apps for Android, Apple and Windows devices on both tablet and mobile, as well as an iTV app.