QR Scanner for the BlackBerry PlayBook has been updated to v1.3 in App World. What does QR Scanner for PlayBook do? Well it lets you scan and generate Quick Response (QR) codes without the need of a network connection.
- For scanning the picture of the code is simply captured with the camera. The information will be decoded and displayed on the screen. The display is formatted according to the content type (text, url, sms, address ..). Buttons allow to open web links and copy the content into the clipboard.
- For future reference the application will keep a list of the last 20 codes that where scanned. A slide down menu on the top of the screen offers setting options to clear the history, turn off the sound and switch the camera.
- This app also allows you to create your own QR codes. Depending on the content type you simply fill in a form with the information you want to store in the code (text, url, email, contact ..). The code will then be displayed and can be saved as a picture.
After getting a lot of bad ratings I have to make clear that the camera of the PlayBook™ is very good but has unfortunately strong limitations when it comes to small codes and in low light condition.
Please use the feedback or contact me directly if you encounter a problem or if you have suggestions to improve the application.
I thank all the users who have supported me with their feedback and who encouraged me to keep developing this application! Furthermore I have to say that everything is based on the awesome zebra crossing project which allows the decoding and creation of QR codes on the device without network interaction.
- Further features are planned also a better integration with other apps as soon as available (vcard, email etc.).
- change the color of generated QR codes
- adapted to the PlayBook 2.0 release
- open mail links in mail app
- enabled QR code creation
- improved scanning algorithm
- experimental support for EAN codes and ISBN
- history feature
- slide down settings panel
- new user interface
- content type specific display